Friday, October 10, 2008

I'm back in the saddle again . . .

well kind of.
Yes, I started working at Hospital ABC Amistad Clinic (as a volunteer.) My first day went pretty well, other than the fact that when the staff introduced me to my first patient, they told me he had recently been diagnosed with diabetes (at least that's what I thought they said.) Turns out, after a half hour conversation with mom and son on the differences between type 1 and type 2, recommendations on diet and exercise, and an explanation of the genetic inheritance of the disease, I learned that what they actually said was hepatitis A. Big difference, as you might imagine. At least I got some practice explaining the perils of diabetes in Spanish. And I think there's plenty more to learn.

4 comments:

AshtonFamilyHappenings said...

Wow!!! It would be hard enough to be a doctor, but to be a doctor using a second language sounds too hard for me. You are amazing Susan!! - absolutely amazing.

ryanfamily said...

I agree. You are amazing! Your blog is great. I enjoyed reading it and seeing the pictures. Monya (Brianna's sister).

MOM THE BOMB said...

Thanks, but pretty much I'm trying to survive. Welcome to my blog, Monya!

Emily Hamilton said...

Impressive Susan! You're already fluent if you can speak Dr. language in Spanish, I can't even speak it in English. :) They're lucky to have you.