Thursday, July 17, 2008

Unwanted guests

Apparently, the expression that I have used so often "mi casa es tu casa" has been misunderstood. Over the past week I have encountered (on two different occasions) black scorpions utilizing the premises as if they were invited. My offer of hospitality was not intended for poisonous creatures. Please stay out! To discourage them, I will be fumigating the house.

By the way, does anyone have information on the danger of black scorpions?
P.S. Everyone else is still welcome!


9 comments:

Lindsey said...

I read that there are 1,000 deaths per year in Mexico from scorpion stings, but I'm finding conflicting information about what kind is lethal. It sounds like brown ones are the worst.

I'm still coming!

BRANDON said...

the dangerous ones have different plates on their heads as well as really fat tails

rmreed said...

The black ones can fly and sting you in the face. Mexicans wear sombreros with nets draping down for protection.

Unknown said...

Back in the day, when I lived in Italy, we came across at least one or two scorpions every few months in our attic. Big, black, thick and quite poisonous ones. They required a severe beating to finally die. Ugh, dark times.

But other than that, Italy wasn't too shabby.

MOM THE BOMB said...

Brandon, I didn't examine it's head very well, as I smashed it. But it did have a pretty fat tail.

Bexie Funk said...

nasty i hate scorpions, they really freak me out. i'm sure by the time i come they'll be gone or i'm not coming. just kidding, kind of.

MOM THE BOMB said...

Don't worry - I'm calling an exterminator - if I can find one.

BRANDON said...

Centruroides exilicauda, is the only medically significant scorpion in North America. It really isn't that dangerous unless you are young or old or are proned to shock.

MOM THE BOMB said...

Whew, Brandon, you saved my life! I might have died of fright. Lucky for me I'm neither young nor old, nor prone to shock.