Saturday, December 05, 2009

Grateful

Thanksgiving is one of my favorite holidays - family, friends, pies, giving thanks. This year as I was thinking about what I was thankful for, I remembered many of the small acts of kindness that I have been the recipient over the years. These are only a few of them:
  • my husband fills my water bottle every night and sets it on my nightstand (in case I get thirsty,) is able to get any stain out of my clothes, calls me "guerrita," and in spite of the many accidents I've had still lets me drive his car.
  • my children forgive me over and over when I am "not smart."
  • a friend of mine invited me to a movie after I'd heard some unpleasant gossip going around.
  • my son-in-law insisted on taking over my assignment of picking up an incoming family member from Hobby Airport, because it was too late at night.
  • one of my daughters is a bargain queen. she shares her good finds with me.
  • Devin confusing me with Poodle. I realize he is (was) almost blind, but still. Quite a compliment.
  • my daughters making dinner many, many times while I was in residency, or coming to the hospital to eat dinner with me.
  • once when I was 9 months pregnant I came out of the bathroom with my dress tucked into my underwear and Carol Burns chased me down and untucked it.
  • after my first major accident - I totaled my car and was a bit shaken up - my sister surprised me with a new pair of shoes.
  • my daughters recently invited me to go to a movie with them.
  • my granddaughter spontaneously threw her arms around me and said "I just love you, Reed."
  • my sister told one of her neighbors about my penchant for jelly rings and she (Shannon?) had a bag waiting for me when I came in town.
  • my parents do the same
  • my daughter writing me a note of gratitude when she was in college.
  • my son and daughter-in-law surprised me by cleaning my fridge while I was out of town taking a class for my board exams.
  • another daughter showing me that the scissor-tailed flycather (crazy bird) that was attacking me while I was out running was only protecting her young.
and so many, many more. I feel very blessed.

1 comment:

Lindsey said...

And we are all thankful for you! You are a great mommy and an awesome grandma!