Monday, February 09, 2009

Veracruz

I was invited by a friend this weekend to go to Veracruz. It's probably not what you're thinking - beaches, surfing, relaxation. We went with a group from his church - The 7th Day Adventists - to Xalapa, the capital of Veracruz.
Points of interest:




We started here. Angel (our driver) drove me to the address I was given and was surprised that it turned out to be his church.








This is Xalapa - the capital of Veracruz. Beautiful city.






Our destination - a small town of Perote - a 2 hr drive up the mountain (actually a volcano)








Unloading the bus in Perote



Waiting patiently for us to get set up.









a friend I made - she wanted to help and brought me a chili lollipop







their school,







other workers from the church



and a beautiful view of their little town


other interesting points:


  • I saw as many interesting cases in one day as I did in one month of residency - and TONS of Giardia. (I told them my daughter had it twice and turned out just fine, which made them smile)
  • Although the people are very poor, they are very happy.
  • The state of Veracruz looks alot like Costa Rica - beautiful!
  • The optometrists get the award for the most efficient. They saw 1,500 people and fitted them all for glasses.
  • The 7th Day Adventists are Super Nice! They even sing a song very similar to our church's "Called to Serve" Needless to say, I was VERY popular. And in the end they were VERY disappointed.

4 comments:

Bexie Funk said...

that's really impressive that they saw 1500 people! wow. and it really is a beautiful city.

Lindsey said...

I want to go! That looks so fun and beautiful.

Monya said...

Honestly, you should write a book about your life. Monya

MOM THE BOMB said...

Thanks, Monya, that's really nice!