Thursday, April 24, 2008

New Languages

I knew moving to Mexico would necessitate learning Spanish, what I didn't know was that I would have to learn "Utahn" as well. I have several friends from Utah who have introduced me to an interesting new language. A few examples:

"kid" - a term used for a friend, usually girlfriend. "Hey kid, have you been to the zocalo?"

"Lordy" - usually used during an "almost" collision in traffic. (Apparently, if you add a y you're not really taking the Lord's name in vain.)

"Well I'll be dipped!" - an expression of exasperation or surprise.

"Fer" - precedes an adjective to form a "complete sentence," such as "fer rude (most common), fer cute, fer gross," etc.

These are only a few. Please feel free to add to the list if you know any Utahns.

4 comments:

Bexie Funk said...

all you have to do is talk to your sister cindy, i'm sure she knows all of them. or spen a day at BYU you'll be amazed at the language there.

rmreed said...

just to remind you, Utahn is your native language.

MOM THE BOMB said...

I'm quite aware. But I don't use it anymore.

The Royal Buffington's said...

How about "Oh my heck"?