Monday, July 20, 2009

Huatulco

This weekend we spent a few days in Huatulco with Ashley for some badly-needed R&R (well actually, I'm not really working that hard, but came along just because I'm nice like that.) Huatulco is a small coastal town in southern Mexico that is not as touristy as most of the beach resorts. We had a great time swimming, relaxing, fishing, hiking, and boating.
Here are some of my favorite moments:
  • Ashley and I beating dad-the-bad in a kayak race. (Our combined competitive natures overpowered his physical strength - although as he tells it we just had a better angle.)
  • Having a Mexican guy flirting with Ashley on the beach tell her "Tu pareces como Ironman." (You look like Ironman) He got very flustered and embarrassed when I mentioned Ironman was not a woman.

  • Swinging from a rope swing over a waterfall and dropping in the water. (unfortunately, Ashley turned the video camara off when I started and on when I finished. You'll have to be satisfied with the video of her. (think a little -or maybe a lot- smaller, black swimsuit instead of bikini, and a terrified look)

  • Going deep sea fishing in a tiny boat with one of the locals and his 10-yr-old son and catching six fish! This is an amazing feat for us given we never catch a thing. I knew you wouldn't believe it, so here's the proof:










  • While on our fishing adventure encountering dos tortugas felices on top of the water - on top of each other.
  • Enjoying all-you-can eat hand-scooped icecream at the hotel restaurant.
  • Getting flipped off a banana boat three times in one circle around the bay because the little kids we were riding with thought "el divirtido es caer."
and now - back to work for all of us!

5 comments:

Bexie Funk said...

i would have loved to see mom go off the rope swing!

MOM THE BOMB said...

I was SO disappointed that she missed it. I would have done it again to be recorded, but she thought she had it.

Lindsey said...

Fun! I am so jealous. I can't believe you guys didn't take home that dorado.

rmreed said...

are you sure that isn't a monkey flying out of the trees?

rmreed said...

Looks like a mix between Itatiaia and Morro. This has inspired me to hunt down the best rope swings in Texas.