Tuesday, October 02, 2007

I love the good old USA!
There are a couple of things I have learned by moving to Mexico. First, I love my family, and miss them.(Actually, I already knew that) Second, I never realized what a great country we have.

The maid that lives in our apartment complex (Suzanna) had minor surgery this week (hemorrhoidectomy for those who are interested.) The surgeons didn't bother to clean her, or even wipe her up before cutting. Then they sent her home in pretty poor shape. Her husband came over that evening asking if I would inject some pain medicine "into her veins". I asked what the medicine was and why they didn't do it before she left. He said she got the medicine from a "friend", not the doctors, and showed me several small vials, which were obviously samples from somewhere. I politely said "no" and my husband told him I couldn't do it because it wasn't safe to give medicine for which I had no instructions. He told us it was no problem and went home. Apparently she did not agree with the "no hay problema" sentiment and came to my apartment, walked into the foyer, pulled down her pants, wiped her rear with an alcohol wipe and handed me a syringe that she had already filled with medicine. The needle was the largest I'd ever seen. I guess when you're desperate, you're desperate.

Although not perfect, we have a healthcare system that cares for the poor. We have guidelines for sanitation that save lives and prevent complications. We have a great country! I can't wait to come home to visit.

3 comments:

Ashley Erin said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Ashley Erin said...

I would be scared of a fat butt in my face.

Lindsey said...

i'm with ashley. poor susana