Sunday, January 20, 2013

The Black Eye Story

Since Cindy asked so nicely . . . I guess it's time.

So on Christmas Eve Poodle (Brittany) and I decided to make a quick trip to Anthropologie to buy a  replacement gift for one of the stocking stuffers I had broken.  We were chatting and laughing and, as usual I wasn't paying much attention to my surroundings. (yeah, shocking!)  I backed out of the driveway my usual way, head out the window keeping my eye on the edge of the driveway so I didn't drive onto the neighbor's lawn (well sometimes that happens.)   Since we were in a hurry, I backed out quite swiftly, right into the car of our cleaning ladies, who had parked in our driveway.  My head slammed against the window, and I was a realized IT HAPPENED AGAIN!  Dang!

I jumped out of the car to assess the damage.
Brittany:  "mom, you're bleeding."
Me:  "Yes, I know, but I"m fine."
Brittany:  "Mom, are you sure you're OK.  You don't look OK."
Me:  "Yes, I'm sure.
We ran into the house to tell the cleaning ladies.
They took one look at me and screamed "AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!  You're bleeding!!! (in spanish)
Me:  I hit your car.  I'm so sorry (in spanish)
Them:  "AHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!  You're bleeding.  We're so sorry!  We're so sorry.
Me:  It wasn't your fault, it was my fault entirely.
Them:  "AHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!  We're so sorry!

Conversation continued like that for a few minutes.
Mike came in and assured them we would pay for all of the damages.  I grabbed a bag of ice, paper towel,  changed my bloody shirt, and we took off again.  Luckily, I didn't really look into the mirror until later.  I probably would've stayed home.

Interestingly, people in the store looked at me funny, but nobody said a thing.  (My eye was huge by this time and I looked horrible)  The cashier politely pretended I was a normal person.

I got home and Mike had cleaned up all of the blood, washed my clothes, and taken care of the car. Yeah, he's awesome.  And pretty accustomed to these things.  Unfortunately.


browniemom said...

Oh MY GOSH! I probably shouldn't be laughing.....but I am! Glad you are ok! I think the not-being-aware-of our-surrounding thing is genetic. Haha!

Ashley Erin said...

Landon shared this story with the elders quorum at a football party. You are a legend!