Tuesday, May 18, 2010

what is this, Arizona?

So last week Shady and I were driving on the Westpark Tollway when I was pulled over by a cop. Why, you might ask?
  • speeding? nope. I was well within the speed limit
  • driving without a license? nope. I had my valid Texas license
  • expired registration? nope. Registration valid, as was the insurance and state inspection.
  • driving on the tollway without a toll tag? wrong again. tag was clearly visible
He pulled me over because of my Mexican plates - plain and simple. Being frustrated that he could find no law broken he did give me a "preemptive" ticket - since my registration will expire in a month or two, he said, this ticket will become valid when it does. Then he told me he would be watching for me, and would pull me over again if he saw me on the tollway.
So, I didn't know you could give someone a ticket for something that hasn't happened yet. "Ma'am, you weren't speeding now, but I'm sure you will be in the future, so this ticket will become valid when you do. Please go turn yourself in."
Profiling? I may not look Mexican, but clearly - this is profiling.

6 comments:

Ashley Erin said...

Landon said you should have taken his badge number and refused to sign the ticket. I agree with him. This story made his little libertarian heart very very angry.

MOM THE BOMB said...

I am very, very angry. I didn't want to be arrested, so I didn't take his badge #, and Violet was screaming in the back seat. (which didn't stop him from looking in the back for smuggled drugs/bodies)

browniemom said...

That is just CRAZY! It does sound like what would be happening in Arizona. I'm not sure I would have been able to be a good sport like you.

BRANDON said...

Refusing to sign a ticket is about the worst thing you can do when stoped by a cop because you can be sited or arrested for not cooperating with a police officer. Even on the ticket it says that signing does not admit guilt and in no way stops you from fighting it.

poodle said...

the officer's name should be written on the ticket. you should at least call and complain.

MOM THE BOMB said...

yes, I called the transit authority. they agreed he shouldn't have pulled me over but told me I needed to call the constable. so I will.